220 South Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 01002
Amherst, MA 01002
Our story is your story. Since 1821, we’ve been helping our students find their own voices, discover their own truths and forge their own paths in the world. Our students and alumni are the true authors of the Amherst story. Help write our next chapter.
|Salary Range:||Location:||AMHERST MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||General|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
Preference: Nice to have
|Amherst College invites applications for the Dispatcher position. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.|
The Dispatcher is a full-time, 40 hour per week, year round position, with a job group and level of AO-4. Adhering to the principals of community policing and community oriented problem solving, the Dispatcher provides initial point of contact for emergency response to criminal activity, fires, medicals, fire alarms, and intrusion alarms. The Dispatcher also provides community service as the college's operator.
The Dispatcher position is considered an essential position meaning the employee is expected to report to work even if the College is closed for weather related or other reasons. Some overtime, weekend, and occasional shift change work is required. Due to the nature of the position, must respond to emergencies as needed.
Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Public Safety Dispatcher
• Answers five emergency lines, four Police business lines, multiple college operator lines, and the direct line to the Amherst Police and Fire Departments.
• Collects information from calling parties as well as walk-ins to the station in a timely manner and disseminates that information to the appropriate entities i.e. Police, ACEMS, Safe RIDE, Environmental Health and Safety, Amherst Fire, Facilities, Office of Student Affairs or any other office on campus.
• Utilizes the National Crime Information Center and Criminal Justice Information System to respond to requests for information from on-duty police officers, e.g. license, warrant, and criminal history checks.
• Monitors fire, intrusion, panic, and other alarms.
• Monitors cameras on campus.
• Activates the college's emergency mass notification system as directed by a ranking officer.
• Provides emergency instructions, calls in personnel afterhours, and supports and assists the community as a whole in a supportive and professional manner.
• Records details in the Automated Record Management System (ARMS) database. The Police Department uses information stored in this system to comply with the state law on Public Police Logs, to keep the administration of the College informed of police department activity, to create records of crime and prosecute criminal cases, and to compile statistics for the Federal Clery Compliance document. This information is often highly confidential, and sensitive in nature and protected by law.
• Operator: Answers the Amherst College external published general phone line.
• Directs visitors and callers to the many diverse events on campus. Utilize the Event Management System (EMS) program to access room reservation and function schedules to provide accurate information.
• Pool Vehicles: Verifies the prescheduled use of the Pool Vehicles, ensuring the driver is credentialed and has been authorized to operate a Pool Vehicle utilizing the Event Management System (EMS) scheduling software and the Five College Credentialing site.
• Access Control Buildings: Assists authorized contractors and staff in getting keys. They also are a key link in the One Card system issuing temporary identification, controlling access upon direction of a police officer.
• Parking: Issues parking permits to student, faculty, staff, contractors, and visitors.
• High School Diploma or Equivalent
• Related experience in law enforcement, security, or dispatching
• Proficient in Microsoft Office and ability to learn new software programs
• Attention to detail
• Strong problem-solving and time management skills, as well as the ability to multi-task
• Demonstrated interpersonal, and written and verbal communication skills, as well as exercise diplomacy, and function efficiently under extreme conditions
• Requires sensitivity to issues of confidentiality
• Commitment to, experience with, and/or ability to work effectively with a broad spectrum of individuals from a variety of diverse backgrounds
• Associate's Degree
Interestedcandidates should submit a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College is an equal opportunity employer and encourages women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities to apply. The College is committed to enriching its educational experience and its culture through the diversity of its faculty, administration, and staff.
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/tcb7trz7394bvkw9