220 South Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 01002
Amherst, MA 01002
Our story is your story. Since 1821, we’ve been helping our students find their own voices, discover their own truths and forge their own paths in the world. Our students and alumni are the true authors of the Amherst story. Help write our next chapter.
|Salary Range:||Location:||Amherst MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Education/Training|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
Preference: Nice to have
Preference: Nice to have
|Amherst College invites applications for the position of mathematics associate, a joint appointment in the Department of Mathematics and Statistics and the Moss Quantitative Center (the college's quantitative support center). This is a full-time, thirty-nine-week-per-year position (from mid-August to mid-May). We seek candidates who can support and mentor students who are broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion. Within the last decade, Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, 24 percent of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients, 45 percent identify as domestic students of color, and 10 percent are international students.|
Primary responsibilities of the mathematics associate include the following:
• Providing support, in the form of drop-in tutoring, individual tutoring, and workshops, for students in mathematics courses, ideally including calculus, linear algebra, abstract algebra, introductory analysis, and probability and coordinating with faculty members teaching those courses
• Consulting with faculty about students who may be struggling in mathematics courses and working with the quantitative center directors to set priorities and evaluate resources for students in those courses.
• In conjunction with one of the mathematics faculty members, coordinate the Math Fellows Program. Math fellows are undergraduate tutors attached to the math courses supported by the math associate.
Additional roles of the mathematics associate may include the following:
• Coordinating and providing support for students in other departments who use quantitative analysis in their curriculum
• Planning events to build community among mathematics and statistics majors at Amherst, as well as other outreach activities to support students taking mathematics and statistics courses.
• During winter Interterm, supporting students studying for the mathematics comprehensive exams
• Assisting in designing academic support materials and for mathematics comprehensive exam preparation
• Sharing in administrative duties at the Quantitative Center
Applicants must hold at least a master's degree in mathematics. Teaching experience, including prior TA or tutor experience, is required.
Submit cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the names of three confidential references (at least one of which should address the candidate's teaching experience or teaching potential) to https://apply.interfolio.com/47538. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled; all applications received by February 15, 2018, will be guaranteed consideration. Please visit the Quantitative Center webpage https://www.amherst.edu/academiclife/support/moss_quantitative_center and department web page https://www.amherst.edu/academiclife/departments/mathematics-statistics to learn more about mathematics at Amherst. Questions can be addressed to Adam Honig, director of the Moss Quantitative Center ( email@example.com ), and Tanya Leise, chair of the Department of Mathematics and Statistics ( firstname.lastname@example.org ).
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/99g8434cc3vvzyzj