Old Creamery Cooperative
445 Berkshire Trail
CUMMINGTON, MA 01026
|Salary Range:||Location:||CUMMINGTON, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Sales/Retail|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
|JOB POSTING: January 4, 2018|
General Manager (GM) for the Old Creamery Co-op in Cummington, Massachusetts. The Co-op recently celebrated our 5-year anniversary and with our current GM's announced retirement, we are looking for a new General Manager to navigate our future direction.
We are seeking a GM to ensure that the Old Creamery thrives as a vibrant center of the surrounding communities. A full-service grocery store, deli, and café, the Old Creamery currently has annual sales of nearly $1.8 million, 9 full-time and 24-31 part-time employees (varying with season), and 780 member-owners.
Candidates must have senior management experience in a retail food business and strong skills in financial management, marketing, problem solving, communication, and community building. We seek an inspired leader who embraces challenge and who has vision, compassion, and a sense of humor. Our ideal candidate will help foster the conditions and culture necessary for long-term viability of the operation.
Expected start date April/May 2018. Compensation and benefits dependent on experience, competitive with similar-type co-ops. Applications will be reviewed upon receipt and we strongly encourage applications before January 31, 2018. Refer to our website (http://oldcreamery.coop/) for more information about the Old Creamery Co-op vision and values, and to find the position summary and detailed General Manager job description. Application information, including email address, can be found on the website, but will require the following attachments in MS Office Word or PDF format.
1. Cover letter
3. Three employment references with full contact information (name, address, phone, email, title, relationship)
While the Co-op strongly prefers applications via email, if access to the internet is an issue for any reason, please apply via postal mail to Board President, Old Creamery Co-op, 445 Berkshire Trail, Cummington, MA 01026.
The Old Creamery Co-op values excellence and diversity in hiring and is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
|Background and Purpose|
The Old Creamery Cooperative, Inc. (the Co-op) Co-op started 5 years ago after buying the facilities and business of the Old Creamery Grocery from private owners. With financing from a local bank, hundreds of contributing member-owners and dozens of member lenders, the Co-op renovated and expanded the existing store and available parking and it has achieved substantial gross sales increases. But it has not yet achieved the level of financial stability to permit fully adequate staffing and the retirement of members-owner loans as quickly as expected. The primary goal of the Co-op for the next 5 years is to achieve substantial increases in net profit and positive cash flow in order to achieve long-term financial stability.
The General Manager is responsible for the successful operations of the Co-Op in accordance with the Creamery's ends policies. S/he works to ensure that the Co?op meets all financial, quality and operational goals set jointly with the board of directors so that the Co?op continues to be a thriving business and a community asset. Working closely with member-owners, the board of directors, senior employees and other store personnel, the General Manager will set the short and long term direction for the Co-op, monitor progress against goals, identify and execute needed improvements and lead innovation and growth.
The General Manager, as the Chief Executive Officer of the Co-op, will have essential functions in the areas of Customer/Community Service, Human Resources, Health, Safety & Regulation Matters, Operations, Marketing/Sales, Finance, Membership, and Board Relations set out in the full job description.
The General Manager reports to the board of directors, which is elected by the Co-op’s member-owners. The General Manager has the authority to hire, direct, structure, and evaluate all other staff.
• Experience managing a retail food store and/or healthy prepared foods operations; or transferable experience.
• Personal and professional values that align with cooperative principles
• Strong work ethic and ability to organize time, manage diverse activities, adapt to change, and meet critical deadlines.
• Bottom-line accountability for a business
• Proven ability to develop and implement a vision and strategic plan.
• Proven ability in team building, including leading and motivating others to achieve organizational goals.
• Experience in accounts payable and receivable, working and long-term capital needs and resources
• Ability to utilize and manipulate spreadsheet, data management, communications and other software programs.
• Confident, outgoing, courteous, and professional approach to all written and verbal communications.
• Ability to be professional, entrusted with sensitive information, and conduct daily activities with integrity.
• Commitment to diversity and a personal approach that values the individual and respects differences of race, ethnicity, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, ability, and socioeconomic circumstance.
• Demonstrated ability to give and receive feedback and to listen and react appropriately
• Ability to be objective, neutral and calm under pressure
• Outstanding customer service skills
• Willingness to be open, to learn, and to take on new responsibilities
• A sense of humor and a can-do attitude!