220 South Pleasant Street Amherst, MA 01002
Amherst, MA 01002
Our story is your story. Since 1821, we’ve been helping our students find their own voices, discover their own truths and forge their own paths in the world. Our students and alumni are the true authors of the Amherst story. Help write our next chapter.
|Salary Range:||Location:||AMHERST MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Management|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
Up to One Year
Preference: Nice to have
|Amherst College invites applications for the Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator position. Amherst College has profoundly transformed its student body in terms of socioeconomic status, ethnicity, and nationality, among other areas. Today, nearly one-quarter of Amherst's students are Pell Grant recipients; 45 percent of our studentsidentify as domestic students of color. Our expectation is that the successful candidate will excel at working in a community that is broadly diverse with regard to race, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, gender, nationality, sexual orientation, and religion.|
The Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator is a full-time, year round, 40 hour per week position, job group and level PT-1. Under the direction of the Chemical Laboratory Coordinator, the Assistant Chemical Laboratory Coordinator provides support in the prepping of the teaching laboratories in the Department of Chemistry (introductory chemistry, organic chemistry, biochemistry, inorganic chemistry, physical chemistry, and courses for non-majors) and in the development of new teaching experiments. Also, the Assistant assists in maintaining the chemistry stockroom.
The Chemistry Department offers 17-19 teaching laboratory sections, which serve 250-300 students. The first section of the day can begin as early as 8:00 am, while the last section may conclude as late as 6:30 pm. To provide lab prep for all of these sections, the Assistant Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator works closely in conjunction with Chemistry Laboratory Coordinator to ensure that all laboratory sections are properly prepped.
Takes appropriate actions to support a diverse workforce and participates in the College's efforts to create a respectful, inclusive, and welcoming work environment.
Provide assistance to the Chemical Laboratory Coordinator to:
• Prep the teaching labs (between 17-19 lab sections per week) and prepare all necessary solutions
• Maintain and test equipment
• As necessary, analyze samples generated by students in the teaching labs and update software on departmental computers not maintained by the College's IT Department
• Maintain the department's glove-box and solvent purification system
• Assist faculty in the development of new experiments for the teaching labs
Stockroom and Chemical Management
Provide assistance to the Chemical Laboratory Coordinator to:
• Maintain the VERTERE chemical inventory system for the College and conduct annual chemical inventory audits
• Maintain the departmental stockroom and the all-science stockroom in the new Science Center
• Order chemicals and supplies, including glassware, gas cylinders, and equipment
• Conduct weekly inspections of the department's eye-wash stations and chemical-waste satellite accumulation areas
• Bachelor's Degree in Chemistry or related field
• 1-2 years of research experience in an academic or industrial chemistry lab
• Strong verbal and written communication, interpersonal, time management, and organizational skills
• Proficient in MS Office and the ability to learn new software programs
• Commitment to working with a diverse community
• Flexible schedule to meet the needs of the laboratory sections including early evenings
• Successful completion of a pre-employment physical and lift test
• Master's Degree in Chemistry or related field
Environmental and Physical Demands
• Lift and carry up to 35 lbs. and to push/pull up to 100 lbs.
• Standing, sitting, and walking for long periods of time
• Stooping, kneeling, reaching and bending
• Repetitive hand motions including hands, wrists, and fingers
• Visual - normal concentration
• Ascend and descend a ladder
• Hazardous materials - safely working with chemicals using personal protective equipment
Interestedcandidates should submit a resume, cover letter, and the names and contact information (email and/or telephone numbers) for three professional references. Applications will be reviewed until position is filled.
ABOUT AMHERST COLLEGE
Amherst College, one of the premier liberal arts colleges in the nation, is located in Amherst, Massachusetts, a town of approximately 35,000 residents in the western part of the state. The college's community is composed of about1,800 students from 48 states, plus Washington, D.C., Puerto Rico and 54 countries around the world, and about 1,000 staff and faculty. The college's scenic 1,000-acre campus includes a 500-acre wildlife sanctuary and the Book & Plow Farm ; three museums: Emily Dickinson Museum , Beneski Museum of Natural History and Mead Art Museum ; and multiple educational and cultural venues and resources through the Five College Consortium. The town of Amherst offers an amazing variety of coffee shops, restaurants and entertainment, and a very active outdoor life. Our vibrant campus, diverse community and beautiful surrounding, makes Amherst College and the Town of Amherst the perfect place to work, learn and live!
Statement of Non-Discrimination
Amherst College does not discriminate in admission, employment, or administration of its programs and activities on the basis of race, national or ethnic origin, color, religion, sex or gender (including pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender expression, and gender identity), age, disability, genetic information, military service, or any other characteristic or class protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. Amherst College complies with all state and federal laws that prohibit discrimination, including Title VII of the Civil Rights Act, Title IX, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, the Equal Pay Act and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act. Inquiries should be addressed to the Chief Diversity and Inclusion Officer , Amherst College, P.O. Box 5000, Amherst, MA 01002-5000.
Apply Here: http://www.Click2Apply.net/dvcvdg89yg2rtxvq