Town of Amherst
4 Boltwood Avenue
Amherst, MA 01002
|Salary Range:||Location:|| Per Year ||AMHERST, MA
|Job Type:||Category:||Seasonal||Government/Public Service
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
Preference: Nice to have
|SUMMER 2020 CONSERVATION POSITIONS|
Amherst has a long history of preserving important ecological, agricultural, cultural, and water supply related lands and remains a leader in acquiring open space and managing the lands it already owns. The Conservation Department is responsible for the administration of environmental laws and policies, open space protection and management and preservation of natural features of the environment, and coordination for joint action with many town bodies. Land management includes 1,965 acres of conservation land, more than 40 open fields and 80 miles of hiking trails. We also manage roughly 2700 acres of Watershed Forest, where we are involved in active forestry.
The Town of Amherst seeks multiple qualified applicants for seasonal summer staff to work approximately from May 18, 2020 – September 8, 2020. Up to 40 hours per week and must be available weekends. This is a Non-Union Part-Time Level 3 position with a starting hourly rate of $12.87 – $14.49 (depending on experience). For more information and to apply online please visit our website at www.amherstma.gov/jobs, or in person at the Human Resources Department, 4 Boltwood Ave, Amherst. Application review begins March 23, 2020.
Amherst seeks a workforce that reflects the diversity of its community. AA/EEO.
TRAIL CREW DUTIES:
Responsible for trail clearing and maintenance on all Amherst Conservation Areas. Trail duties include but are not limited to:
• Clearing fallen trees, brush and debris off trails
• Brush cutting trails , using power tools, loppers and other hand tools
• Maintaining/installing Conservation Area trail heads, parking areas and signage
• Constructing/re-decking bridges and bog bridging
• Outdoor, landscape and/or construction work experience in all types of weather
• Minimum 1 year experience with power tools, lawn mowers, string trimmers and chainsaws.
• Ability to lift up to 100 lbs.
PUFFER’S POND DUTIES:
Responsible for overseeing public use at the Puffer’s Pond/Mill River Conservation Area. Pond duties include but are not limited to:
• Pond and beach rule/regulation enforcement
• Daily monitoring of beach activity/special trail and beach improvement projects
• Daily site clean-up of trash and recyclables on the North/South beaches and perimeter trails
• Outdoor work experience in all types of weather
• Ability to work comfortably with the general public and enforce rules