Center for Responsive Schools, Inc.
85 Avenue A
P.O. Box 718
TURNERS FALLS, MA 01376
Center for Responsive Schools, Inc. is a nonprofit educational organization dedicated to the improvement of elementary and middle school teaching and learning. Their approach to teaching, called the Responsive Classroom® approach, emphasizes social, emotional, and academic growth in a strong and safe school environment. The Responsive Classroom® approach promotes optimal learning by helping
children to develop high-level academic and social-emotional competencies and knowledge.
|Salary Range:||Location:||TURNERS FALLS, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Printing|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|The Editor reports to the Director of Publications and is responsible for supporting the work of the Publications department by helping to develop, write, edit and proofread content for a variety of publications products and materials. The Editor must be able to create and adhere to style sheets and guides, be skilled in writing for different audiences, have a basic understanding of product development in a publishing setting, and be able to work on multiple projects and deadlines with different teams. In some cases, the Editor supports a Managing Editor and other times might oversee their own projects. Assignments given to the Editor have clear, and sometimes short-term, deadlines. To ensure the fluid communication and teamwork needed for high-quality, timely work, the position is an onsite position.|
PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE:
• Contributing to the writing, editing, copyediting, background research, and proofing stages of CRS retail publications; including books, articles, Quick Coaching Guides, student books and materials, teaching guides, online content, video and various other products.
• Writing or editing material for newsletters, catalogs, website, and other marketing pieces
• Creating or contributing to the development of workshop materials for Center for Responsive Schools workshops and presentations as needed
• Ability to communicate tactfully with authors and content developers
• Creating and maintaining schedules and deadlines for assigned projects, Supporting the Executive Director’s office with writing and editing of materials as needed.
• Build and maintain knowledge of all Center for Responsive Schools brands, their basis, approach and practices.
• Staying informed of current educational trends, topics of high interest to Center for Responsive Schools customers, and the evolving reading habits and preferred reading mediums of Center for Responsive Schools audience
• Building knowledge of Center for Responsive Schools customers, website users, and programs by periodically attending or staffing conferences and workshops.
• Interviewing educators for developing products with real-world accounts and also gathering testimonials. Working with the Marketing Department to develop copy for campaigns.
• Some travel required
|• Bachelor’s degree in English, communications, journalism, or related field|
• At least 3 years’ experience in writing and editing for an organization, preferably in publishing
• Ability to work on a PC, some Mac experience recommended
• Experienced in MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, Adobe Acrobat
• Familiarity with Adobe InDesign, Photoshop, InCopy and other Creative Suite products helpful
• Excellent verbal and written communications skills
• Strong organization, decision-making, and customer service skills
• Able to take direction, feedback, and edits from reviewers with varying roles and backgrounds
• Manage multiple priorities while attending to details
• Interest in education and organization’s mission
• Perform effectively as a team player in a highly-collaborative work environment
• Regular and reliable attendance, onsite position