Amherst Montessori School
27 Pomeroy Lane
Amherst, MA 01002
Following the pioneering approach developed by Dr. Maria Montessori, Amherst Montessori School nurtures the child's spirit, curiosity, confidence, and leadership, building the foundation for a lifelong love of learning. AMS programs feature thoughtfully-prepared classrooms to support the child's development, and a curriculum that integrates peace education, art, practical life, outdoor time, Spanish and more. Visit our site, and then contact us to learn more about our programs for children three months through Sixth Grade.
|Salary Range:||Location:||To Commensurate With Experience||AMHERST, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full / Part Time||Education/Training|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
Up to One Year
Preference: Nice to have
DEEC certification or eligibility - Preference: Preferred|
Montessori training - Preference: Preferred
The Aftercare Teacher will play a supporting role in the success of the school. They will contribute to the education and socio-emotional development of children in their level’s Aftercare program within a fully-implemented Montessori Infant to Elementary school. The Aftercare teacher’s role is to support the children, utilizing best practices in Montessori instruction in a student-centered learning environment appropriate to the intellectual, physical, social, and emotional needs of all learners.
Start date: August 23rd, 2021. 12-Month contract, school year and summer position.
Open positions: Infant Aftercare (3 mos - 15 mos), Toddler Aftercare (15 mos - 3 years), and Children’s House Aftercare (3-6 years).
Hours: Part-time, Full-time positions available; Afternoon/early evening hours, Monday through Friday.
Compensation: Hourly, $14.00 - $18.00 per hour (based on experience)
- Develops and modifies aftercare activities to meet the academic, physical, and socio-emotional needs of all learners
- Monitors appropriate use and care of materials
- Plans aftercare activities and projects that are engaging and age-appropriate
- Presents classroom procedures and rules with clarity
- Supports children in following classroom procedures, implementing them consistently and calmly
- Assists in supporting positive behavior of students in a respectful manner, using grace and courtesy in keeping with the Montessori approach
- Monitors students engaged in independent work, group projects, or similar activities, ensuring respect for classmates and materials
- Monitors outdoor time with a focus on safety, cooperative play, and fun
- Observation and Record Keeping
- Confers with classroom Guides about individual student needs
- Participates in individual student action plans, implementing activities and recording progress under direction of classroom Guides
Care of the Environment
- Rotates the materials available to children
- Repairs or replaces broken classroom materials and equipment in a timely fashion and ensures that learning materials are in good order and ready for student use each day
- Replenishes consumable items, e.g. paper, pencils, art supplies, food preparation, etc.
- Prepares, monitors, and assists children with clean up of food activities - snacks, and food prep
- Monitors coatroom activity and maintains order in the cubbies
- Assists students in clean-up of the environment at the end of the day
- Communicates and interacts regularly and appropriately with students, parents, and staff, maintaining positive relationships
- Meets regularly with other members of the Aftercare team, engaging in planning of activities and discussion of children’s needs
- Attends and actively participates in all required staff meetings and events
- Keeps con?dential information about students and families con?dential at all times
- Maintains all professional certi?cations necessary, including yearly CPR/First Aid certification
- Seeks opportunities for professional development
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Performs other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Please submit your resume, cover letter, desired age level you’d like to work with, and three professional references to Kelly Edreich at email@example.com.
Accepting applications until all positions are filled.
|Required Quali?cations: |
High School Diploma is required.
The ideal teacher has DEEC certification or eligibility, a Bachelor’s Degree in Education or a related field, is trained in the Montessori Method and/or has experience as an assistant in an early-childhood setting, collaborating as a member of a teaching faculty, supervising children, and supporting students with emotional and learning support needs. They are kind, caring, compassionate, enthusiastic, well-organized, bilingual (Spanish), and creative with excellent written and oral communication skills.