Town of Amherst
4 Boltwood Avenue
Amherst, MA 01002
|Salary Range:||Location:||AMHERST, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Government/Public Service|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
Preference: Nice to have
Bilingual - Preference: Nice to have|
|The Town of Amherst is seeking Full-Time Emergency Dispatchers for a 24/7 emergency communications center dispatching police, fire, and emergency medical calls. Dispatchers must be able to work any shift assignment on a |
4-day-on, 2-day-off rotation, with overtime required. This position requires excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to interact with people who may be in crisis; ability to work under stressful situations. Previous emergency communications experience and/or bilingual capabilities desired. Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) Certification required within 4 months of hire. This is a union position with great municipal benefits and pension.
Performs variety of routine clerical, administrative and technical work in receiving and dispatching routine and emergency information; keeping official records; and assisting in the administration of the standard operating policies and procedures of the Communications Center providing service for the police, fire and emergency medical services on a 24-hour, seven-day week basis with eight hour rotating shifts.
1. Monitors phones, radio, and video in the dispatch center, answers all incoming calls and ascertains nature of call, gathers all necessary information to transmit or relay. Utilizes standard protocols in dispatching all calls. In cases of emergency medical calls, maintains contact with the caller to give instruction per protocols.
2. Dispatches police, fire and emergency medical response vehicles for emergency responses. In cases of multi jurisdictions, maintains communications with all responders involved in incident. Requests resources as directed by responding personnel or departmental protocol. Broadcasts nature, location and time of incident; contacts all required personnel; insures the presence of reserve units by contacting personnel designated for call-back; relays information as required.
3. Through computer aided dispatch (CAD) maintains logs of radio and telephone communications, location of personnel and equipment. In the event of an emergency situation, maintains on-going contact with the responding personnel keeping them informed of all incoming pertinent information; alerts personnel of various information such as traffic lights out and streets closed.
4. Maintains dispatch center work area and equipment in clean and working condition. Keeps abreast of all communications center guidelines, directives, announcements, and special orders.
5. Operates radios as needed and assists in radio communications; operates base radio as required. Enters and retrieves a variety of data and extracts required data from computer and other information systems, maintaining reports and records as required or requested, per departmental standards. Inputs data to standard office and department forms, both manual and automated; makes simple postings to various reports; compiles and tabulates data.
6. Maintains thorough knowledge of the mapping systems of the towns served. Broadcast pertinent weather bulletins or other civil defense bulletins.
7. Assists in the training of new employees and ongoing refresher training.
8. Performs other duties as assigned and consistent with position.
|Must be able to successfully complete background investigation with no felony convictions. Must be able to obtain and maintain certifications in Emergency Dispatch, Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) and HazMat Dispatch.|