Center for New Americans
|Salary Range:||Location:||$24+ Per Hour||N'ton/Gfld/Amherst MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Part Time||Education/Training|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
Preference: Nice to have
See Job Description - Preference: Nice to have|
|Center for New Americans seeks an education and career advisor to support adult immigrant students enrolled in our free classes in English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL). This position will support Afghan evacuees, in addition to other students. This is a 6-month position (through June) which may be continued depending on funding.|
Education and career advisors are responsible for:
- working closely with ESOL teachers and other staff to troubleshoot barriers to students’ attendance and participation in class;
- working closely with community partners to connect students to community resources, such as
healthcare, childcare, housing;
- working closely with students to identify their goals and support them in making a plan to achieve
those goals, including obtaining living wage jobs and pursuing higher education as appropriate;
- working closely with the Technology team to document student progress and other information in the organization’s database.
This position is for 20 hours/week; compensation is $23.50/hour. Hours involve some morning and some early evening work in order to support students during their class time.
Center for New Americans seeks applications from skilled candidates from a variety of backgrounds,
particularly in regard to race, culture, and language proficiency. Preference will be given for candidates who bring experience, capacity, and perspective to strengthen the organization’s capacity to meet its mission.
Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org and enclose a letter of interest, a resume, and names and contact information for three professional references.
Center for New Americans is an Affirmative Action /Equal Opportunity Employer.
Center for New Americans (CNA) is a community-based non-profit adult education center located in Western Massachusetts. Using a participatory approach to instruction, CNA provides limited-English proficient adults with the education and resources to learn English, become involved members of their new communities, and ultimately obtain the tools necessary to secure economic independence and stability.
|Successful candidates will have the following qualifications:|
- experience working with people from diverse backgrounds
- experience working with community organizations and career centers in Hampden, Hampshire and/or Franklin County in Western Massachusetts
- bilingual, with proficiency in Spanish, Arabic and/or Dari preferred