Town of Amherst
4 Boltwood Avenue
Amherst, MA 01002
The Town of Amherst seeks a workforce that reflects the diversity of its community and strives toward racial equity and environmental sustainability. All are encouraged to apply. AA/EEO
|Salary Range:||Location:||To Commensurate With Experience||AMHERST, MA|
|Job Type:||Category:||Full Time||Government/Public Service|
|Education Level:||Work Experience:|
|High School or Equivalent|
Up to One Year
Preference: Nice to have
MA EMT-A or Paramedic or at least an EMT/B currently enrolled as a student in a Paramedic Certification program - Preference: Required|
Do you believe in serving your community? Want to be part of an outstanding and progressive team? Then consider joining the Amherst Fire Department! Our 40+ member fire department is seeking professional Fire Fighters/EMT Advanced or EMT Paramedics. The Amherst Fire Department serves the Town of Amherst, the University of Massachusetts, Amherst College, Hampshire College and also provides Emergency Medical Services to our neighboring communities of Leverett, Shutesbury and Pelham.
Amherst Fire Department provides:
2. Annual educational incentive payment.
3. Annual EMT stipend.
4. Cutting edge equipment and training.
1. Performs firefighting activities including driving fire apparatus, operating pumps and related equipment, laying hose, and performing fire combat, containment and extinguishment tasks. Performs salvage operations such as throwing salvage covers, sweeping water, and removing debris.
2. Serves as an emergency medical technician: In charge of or drives an ambulance to emergency calls to provide efficient and immediate care to the critically ill or injured; transports the patient to a medical facility using the most expeditions routes to and from; prepares all reports required; has a thorough knowledge of efficient use of EMS and extrication equipment; performs patient care to level of training; maintains all appropriate certifications.
3. Participates in fire drills, attends classes in firefighting, emergency medical, hazardous materials, and related subjects.
4. Operates radio and other communication equipment.
5. Participates in the inspection of buildings, hydrants, and other structures in fire prevention programs.
6. Maintains fire equipment, apparatus and facilities. Performs minor repairs to departmental equipment.
7. Performs general maintenance work in the upkeep of fire facilities and equipment; cleans and washes walls and floors; cares for grounds around station; makes minor repairs; washes, hangs and dries hose; washes, cleans, polishes, maintains and tests apparatus and equipment.
8. Assists in the presentation of programs to the community on safety, medical, and fire prevention topics. Escorts visitors of tours of the station, explains functions of equipment, basic fire prevention and fire education, etc.
9. Performs other duties as directed.
Desired Minimum Qualifications